Ingredients for Herbs, Lentil and Parmesan Pie:
For the pastry:
- 100g/3 ½ ozs plain flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs eg. oregano, parsley, thyme
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 100g/3 ½ ozs cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 small courgette, sliced
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 50g/1 ¾ ozs red lentils
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 15g/½ oz grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon mixed fresh herbs, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method for Herbs, Lentil and Parmesan Pie:
- Firstly make the pastry. Place the flour in a bowl and using a fork, mix in the herbs, egg, olive oil and water until it forms a dough. Shape the dough into a ball and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: Heat the oil in a medium pan, add the onion, garlic, red pepper, cauliflower, courgette and celery and fry for 3-4 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Add the carrot and continue to fry for 1 minute. Stir through the lentils and tomatoes, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Stir through the remaining ingredients, season well then transfer to a pie dish. Brush the rim of the pie dish with a little water, then roll out the pastry to cover the pie.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200?C/400?F/Gas Mark 6 for 30-35 minutes or until golden.
This fresh and filling dish is high in fibre and a good source of carbohydrate.