Submitted by Mumofstig
Mumofstig is the forum expert on Greek food. She tells us that these delicious lemon roast potatoes, cooked in huge oven trays, are a traditional accompaniment to the whole barbecued lamb at family Easter celebrations .
- 1 Kg potatoes (waxy ones are best)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- teaspoon yellow mustard
- Juice of a lemon (surprise surprise 🙂 )
- 1/2 tablespoon of dried Oregano – more if you like the taste, the Greek stuff has very strong flavour!
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- a splash of water
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C
- Cut potatoes into chunky wedges or slices and put them in a baking pan.
- Add oil, mustard, garlic, lemon juice and a splash of water and mix together in bottom of the pan.
- Turn everything over to coat in oil mix and then sprinkle with salt and Oregano.
- Cover tightly with foil and cook for about an hour.
- Remove foil and baste potatoes with any unabsorbed oil and then cook, uncovered, for another 30 – 40 mins – depending on how crispy you want them.
Greeks don’t usually make theirs very crispy, I like them both ways
I’ve also used lemon thyme but the very strong Greek oregano is obviously traditional.