Ingredients for Turnip or Swede “Skirlie-Mirlie”:
- 1 lb (450 g) turnip or swede, diced
- 1 lb (450 g) potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- A little milk
- Finely chopped parsley or chives to garnish
Method for Turnip or Swede “Skirlie-Mirlie” :
- Cook the turnips or swede and the potatoes in boiling salted water and drain well.
- Heat the butter in a pan, add the turnips or swedes and potatoes and mash well, adding enough milk to give a creamy texture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into a warmed serving bowl and sprinkle with the chopped parsley or chives.
This Turnip or Swede “Skirlie-Mirlie” Recipe serves 4. A “taste” of Scotland.
ground black pepper really inproves the flavour of the swede
Husband on low cal low fat low carb diet grew up with skirlie. Thank you