Ingredients for Spiced Green Beans:
- 1 lb (450 g) green beans
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Large “pinch” of cayenne pepper
- 6 fl oz (175 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin or coriander seeds, crushed
Method for Spiced Green Beans:
- Top and tail the beans and string if necessary.
- Cut the beans into 1″ (2.5 cm) lengths.
- Combine the garlic, lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the crushed cumin or coriander seeds and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the beans and saute briskly for a minute.
- Sir in the garlic mixture, cover tightly, and cook over a low heat for about 10 minutes until the beans or just tender.
- Increase the heat, remove the cover and stir constantly until the liquid has evaporated.
- Serve straight away.
This Spiced Green Beans Recipe serves 4.
A good way to use up the “glut” of green beans. You can make in larger quantities, allow to cool and freeze in suitable portions for you. To re-heat, just use the microwave and toss the beans around.