Ingredients for Potatoes O’Brien:
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 green pepper or ½ green pepper and ½ red pepper, cored seeded and chopped.
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 oz (112 g) mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 fl oz (240 ml) hot milk
- 2 oz (56 g) dry breadcrumbs
Method for Potatoes O’Brien:
- Peel and slice or dice the potatoes and par boil until just tender.
- Sauté the onions and pepper in butter until soft.
- Drain the potatoes and mix with the peppers, onions, flour, salt, cayenne, most of the cheese and hot milk.
- Pour into a greased shallow baking dish, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and the remaining cheese over the top.
- Dot the top generously with dabs of butter.
- Cook in a preheated oven at Gas Mark 4 (180°C/350°F) for about half an hour until the top is bubbly and brown.
This Potatoes O’Brien Recipe serves 4.
These are nice on their own but a little boring for a complete meal. They go well with scrambled eggs and with burgers or with sausages. Very nice with thick bacon chops or gammon, or just bacon for that matter.