Ingredients for Greek Spinach Rice:
- 90g butter
- 220g long-grain rice
- 600ml rich chicken stock
- Salt & fresh ground black pepper to your taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 250g chopped Leaf Spinach (or frozen if out of season)
- 4 chopped spring onions
Method for Greek Spinach Rice:
- Heat the butter in a heavy-based medium sized saucepan, over a low heat, add the rice and stir for about 5 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Add the stock, salt and pepper and slowly bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Leave covered and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small pan then add the onions, stirring over a medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the spinach, reduce the heat and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes or until the spinach is hot. Add the spring onions and stir in for a minute or two.
- Add spinach mixture to the rice. Mix together until just heated through.
Preparation time: 5 minutes. Cooking time: 40-45 minutes.
A very healthy dish. Can be used on its own, with BBQ’d Chicken, or Greek Easter Lamb.
This Greek Spinach Rice Recipe serves 4