You can adjust the hotness of this red pepper relish by varying the amount and type of chillies in the recipe.
Ingredients for Hot & Spicy Red Pepper Relish:
- 5 or 6 red peppers (depending on size)
- 3 red or green chillies
- 12 oz (340 g) sugar
- 6 fl. oz. (180 ml) red wine vinegar
- ½ pint (280 ml) liquid pectin
Method for Hot & Spicy Red Pepper Relish:
- De-seed and finely chop the red peppers. De-seed and finely chop the chillies.
- Mix the sugar and vinegar together in a deep pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the peppers and chillies and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the pectin and pour into hot sterilised jars. Seal.
- Label once cool.
This red pepper relish recipe makes about 2 lb (900 g) of relish.
More on Making Relish Preserves
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
These articles on methods of making preserves cover both sweet preserves like fruit curds and savoury relishes and pickles. In our modern world with 24 hour shopping, cans in the cupboard and a deep freeze full of ready meals, it's hard to imagine...