Stuffed Marrow Recipe Submitted by Patricia Dimberline
Ingredients for Stuffed Marrow:
- 1 large marrow
- Tomatoes (2 tins) or 3lb tomatoes at least
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée (found sun-dried the best)
- 1 or 2 large onions
- Numerous cloves of garlic to your taste
- Small bag of “Quorn” (this is vegetarian to look like meat)
- Oregano (to taste)
- Lots and lots of basil
- Salt and pepper
- Chilli (either seeds or 1 green)
Method for Stuffed Marrow:
- Either dry or oil fry onions until soft, add quorn and toss for 5 minutes on medium heat, add tomatoes and herbs, salt and pepper, chilli and garlic. Cook for about 1 to 1½ hours on low, simmering, stirring occasionally, until it has rendered down.
- Halve the marrow, scoop out seeds, cut bottom to make it stable but don’t go through. Pour enough of the sauce to fill.
- Then make a normal white sauce with cornflour and milk, add a little cheddar cheese, pour over the marrow, make sure sauce is thickish. Then put a sprinkle of cheddar and parmesan cheese on top.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for about an hour or so, check that the marrow is cooked and it is ready to serve.
This Stuffed Marrow Recipe serves 4 to 6. A good recipe if you have a glut of marrows.