Ingredients for Potato Croquettes:
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg)) freshly cooked potatoes
- 3 oz (84 g) butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- ¼ pint (150 ml) milk
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley for garnish
Method for Potato Croquettes:
- Sieve the potatoes or mash well taking care no lumps remain.
- Heat the milk with the butter until the butter melts.
- Add to the potatoes with 1beaten egg and seasoning. Beat well until quite smooth.
- Allow to cool and form into cork shaped croquettes.
- Brush with beaten egg and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Wrap the croquettes in cling film and chill them in the fridge for about 1 hour before frying/baking them. It gives the ingredients time to meld and retain their shape better
- Either fry in deep hot fat until nicely browned and drain well on crumpled kitchen roll or bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 7 (425°F/220°C) for about 20 minutes, turning over half way through, until nicely browned all over.
- Serve hot, garnished with sprigs of parsley.
You can add some grated cheese to the potato mixture to give an alternative flavour.
You can freeze these potato croquettes. Lay on a tray individually in the freezer. Once frozen pack in boxes – we use old ice cream boxes, in the freezer. Use boxes to avoid damaging and breaking the fragile potato croquettes in the freezer.
When required, allow to warm up to room temperature and then re-heat in the oven preferably or the microwave if you’re in a hurry. Not quite as good as freshly made, but still very acceptable.