Ingredients for Brown Bread:
- 3½ lbs (1.65 kg) strong white flour
- 3½ lbs (1.65 kg) wholemeal flour
- 1 oz (25 g) salt
- 4 tablespoons oil or 3½ oz (100 g) lard or white margarine
- 3½ pints (2 litres) water
- 2 oz (56 g) fresh yeast or 1 oz (28 g) dried
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
Method for making Brown Bread:
- Sieve the white flour with the salt into a warm bowl. Add the wholemeal flour and mix well.
- Rub or stir in the fat (depending on what you are using) and leave in a warm place.
- Cream the yeast with the caster sugar and add 1½ pints (900 ml) warm water. Leave until frothy.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and add the yeast mixture.
- Sprinkle with flour and leave for 15 – 20 minutes to set the sponge.
- Mix to an elastic dough, adding more warm water as necessary.
- Beat well with the hands to mix thoroughly.
- Put into a clean bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough on to a floured boards and knead well for 10 minutes.
- Divide the mixture equally into 4 and knead the pieces again.
- Put into 4 2lb (900 g) warmed, greased and lightly floured tins, cover with a clean cloth and leave to prove until the dough just reaches the tops of the tins.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven set at Gas Mark 7 (425°F/220°C) for about 45 – 60 minutes until they sound hollow when tapped at the bottom.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 4 2lb (900 g) loaves. Alternately divide into 8 and make 8 1lb (450 g) loaves.