Ingredients for Tomato Soup:
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 carrot
- 1½ lbs (700 g) tomatoes
- 1½ pints (900 ml) vegetable stock or water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 peppercorns
- ¾ oz (21 g) butter
- ¾ oz (21 g) flour
- ¼ pint (150 ml) milk
Method for Tomato Soup:
- Peel and slice the onion finely. Chop the celery and carrot into small pieces.
- Fry the onion, carrot and celery lightly in a little butter or oil in a large pan.
- Slice the tomatoes and add them to the other vegetables along with the stock or water, salt and pepper and the parsley. Tie the bay leaf and peppercorns in a piece of muslin and add to the pan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the muslin bag and either push through a sieve or put through a blender.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour, blend well and cook for a minute or two without colouring.
- Gradually add the puree, stirring all the time.
- Bring to the boil and cook for at least 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and re-heat without boiling.
- Serve hot.
This Tomato Soup Recipe serves 4 – If the colour is a bit on the pale side, add some tomato purée. Serve with a dash of Worcestershire sauce.