Ingredients for Cream of Mushroom Soup:
- ½ lb (225 g) mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- ½ pint (300 ml) water or white vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 1 oz (28 g) flour
- ¾ pint (400 ml) milk
- 1 egg yolk
Method for Cream of Mushroom Soup:
- Clean the mushrooms and cut up roughly.
- Peel and chop the onion finely.
- Put into a pan with the stock or water and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer with the pan covered for about 20 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Either rub through a sieve or put through a blender to make a smooth purée.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour. Blend it well and cook for a minute or two without colouring.
- Gradually pour in the milk, stirring all the time. Simmer for a few minutes to cook.
- Pour in the mushroom purée and add the beaten egg yolk.
- Stir over a low heat to re-heat without boiling..
- Serve hot.
This Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe serves 4
Nice when served with floated small croutons of fried bread.
This is a very rich and satisfying version of mushroom soup. It can be frozen but best not stored for too long, perhaps 3 months as the upper limit.
Ilove this site – recipes are great
This soup was so easy to make – I am a new pressure cooker user – and was so tasty that my husband and finished the lot! I look forward to trying other soups on this very good website!
This is a really tasty soup recipe. Anyone tried freezing it?
Looks good in detail on how to make the soup, very easy to understand. Would use this again and again.
Very nice recipe, have made this a few times now.
Just made this soup ready for guests tomorrow. It smelt so good I couldn’t resist a little spoonful! Wow! Must step away from pan now or they’ll be none left for tomorrow! Thanks 🙂