Ingredients for Cream of Mushroom Soup:
- ½ lb (225 g) mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- ½ pint (300 ml) water or white vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 1 oz (28 g) flour
- ¾ pint (400 ml) milk
- 1 egg yolk
Method for Cream of Mushroom Soup:
- Clean the mushrooms and cut up roughly.
- Peel and chop the onion finely.
- Put into a pan with the stock or water and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer with the pan covered for about 20 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Either rub through a sieve or put through a blender to make a smooth purée.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour. Blend it well and cook for a minute or two without colouring.
- Gradually pour in the milk, stirring all the time. Simmer for a few minutes to cook.
- Pour in the mushroom purée and add the beaten egg yolk.
- Stir over a low heat to re-heat without boiling..
- Serve hot.
This Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe serves 4
Nice when served with floated small croutons of fried bread.
This is a very rich and satisfying version of mushroom soup. It can be frozen but best not stored for too long, perhaps 3 months as the upper limit.