Savoury Cottage Loaf with Cheese & Bacon Recipe
Ingredients for Savoury Cottage Loaf:
- ¾ lb (340 g) strong white flour
- ¾ lb (340 g) wholemeal flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ oz (14 g) fresh yeast or ¼ (7 g) dried yeast
- ¾ pint (400 ml) water
- ¼ lb (112 g) mature cheddar cheese (grated)
- ¼ lb (112 g) streaky bacon (grilled and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
Method for Savoury Cottage Loaf:
- Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Cream the yeast with a little of the water and leave until frothy.
- Make a well into the flour and add the yeast, remaining water, ¾ of the grated cheese, chopped grilled bacon, chopped sage, salt and pepper and mix to a dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Put into a clean bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knock back with your hand or fist to remove any air pockets and knead again for a few minutes.
- Cut off a quarter of the dough. Shape the larger piece of dough into a ball and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Shape the small piece of dough into a ball and place on top of the larger ball.
- Flour the handle of a wooden spoon and push it through the centre of both balls, then pull it out again quickly.
- Cover and leave to rise again in a warm place for about 30 minutes until it has almost doubled in size.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake in the middle of a preheated oven at Gas Mark 7 (220°C/425°F) for 30 minutes until well risen and browned and the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Put onto a wire rack to cool.