Ingredients for Garlic & Herb French Bread Sticks :
- 1 ½ lbs (700 g) strong white flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ oz (14 g) fresh yeast or ¼ oz (7 g) dried yeast
- ¾ pint (400 ml) water
- 4 oz (112 g) butter
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic (or as much as you like!)
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- tablespoon chopped parsley
Method for Garlic & Herb French Bread Sticks:
- Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Cream the yeast with a little of the water and leave until frothy.
- Make a well into the flour and add the yeast, remaining water and mix to a dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Put into a clean bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knock back with your hand or fist to remove any air pockets and knead again for a few minutes.
- Divide the dough into two and roll each half out to form an oval as long as a baking tray.
- Soften the butter in a bowl and add the finely chopped garlic to taste, the dried herbs and chopped parsley and mix well.
- Spread half of the butter mixture on each piece of dough, leaving a 1″ (2.5 cm) margin all around the edges. Roll each oval up tightly length-ways and seal the edges.
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 7 (425°F/220°C).
- Place the loaves with the seams underneath on a well-greased baking tray. Make diagonal slits into the top of the loaves at 2″ (5 cm) intervals.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and leave the dough to rise again in a warm place for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Put into the pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes until they are crisp and golden in colour.
- Remove from oven and tap the base of each loaf. If they sound hollow they are ready.
Note: Makes two Garlic & Herb French Bread Sticks. Can either be eaten immediately or left to cool on a wire rack. If you want a crisp crust, brush the loaves with a teaspoon of salt dissolved in 4 tablespoons of water before putting them in the oven.