Ingredients for Open Fruit Tart:
- 6 oz (175 g) short crust pastry
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh fruit
- ¼ pint water
- 2 – 3 oz (55 – 80 g) caster sugar
- ¼ pint fruit juice
- ½ teaspoon arrowroot
- Lemon Juice
Method for Open Fruit Tart:
- Roll out the pastry to a circle slightly larger than the plate or tin used.
- Line the greased plate with the pastry and trim the edges. Use the trimmings for decoration of the edge.
- Prick the pastry with a fork and line with a circle of greased paper and put bread crusts or hard beans on the paper.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for about 30 minutes, removing the paper and beans 10 minutes before cooking has finished.
- Leave to cool.
- Stew the fruit slowly with a syrup made with the water and sugar.
- Drain the fruit well and when cold arrange in the pastry.
- Put ¼ pint (150 ml) of fruit juice and squeeze of lemon juice into a pan and bring to the boil. Pour it over the arrowroot mixed to a thin paste with water. Return to the pan and cook until the mixture thickens and clears.
- When cold but not set, pour over the fruit and leave to set.
This Open Fruit Tart Recipe serves at least 4.
Another one great with whipped cream! Can be made with a wide variety of fresh fruits from strawberries to apples.
Pastry Making Help & Information
These guides compliment our recipes section. Basic guide to making pastry - for individual types of pastry, see below. Pastry Ingredients: Flour for Pastry Making: Use good quality flour for pastry making if you can. It should be quite dry...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Shortcrust pastry is the most common type of pastry and very easy to make though it does need to be kept cool and handled as little as possible. Use for sweet and savoury flans, pies, tarts...