Ingredients for Asparagus and Eggs:
- 12 stalks asparagus
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
Method for Asparagus and Eggs:
- Wash the asparagus in cold water and cut off the woody bit on the base of the stalks. Tie in a bundle that will stand upright.
- Boil enough water in a deep pan. Place the stalks in it upright, making sure that the level comes to just below the heads. Cover and simmer for around 15 minutes until tender when pierced at the stalk end with the tip of a sharp knife.
- Drain, refresh under cold water and drain again.
- Cut the stalks into short lengths (½”/1.25 cm) and put any tougher bits from the stems aside for use in soups etc.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, stir in the asparagus pieces and season to taste.
- Melt the butter in a pan and pour in the egg and asparagus mixture, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon over a moderate heat until it thickens.
Serve immediately. Goes well on some hot, buttered toast.