Ingredients for Leek Mornay:
- 4 largish leeks
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 oz (56 g) butter
- ½ pint full or semi-skimmed milk
- ½ oz flour or some cornflour
- 4 ozs cheese (grated)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
Method for Leek Mornay:
- Wash the leeks well and cut into slices.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and, when hot, sauté the leeks in it until the are just beginning to soften. Remove and transfer to an oven-proof dish.
- Quarter the hard-boiled eggs and arrange over the top of the leeks.
- Stir the flour into the butter in the frying pan and gradually add the milk. Cook, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens and comes to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes and then stir in the cheese and mustard.
- Continue cooking until the cheese has melted and then pour over the leek and eggs.
- Bake in the top part of a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 7 (425°F/220°C) for about 15 minutes until the top begins to brown.
A creamy leek dish to go with meat or fish or serve alone as a vegetarian main course.
One largish leek per person sounds excessive!
@Faye: Not really, remember the leeks go down in the cooking process. We actually had this tonight and it was delicious.