Ingredients for Spicy Beef and Pepper Casserole:
- 1½ lb (675 g) chuck or casserole beef
- 2 ozs (56 g) butter
- 1 large onion (peeled and sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 pint (570 ml) beef stock (or two beef stock cubes dissolved in boiling water)
- 1 large red pepper (de-seeded and chopped)
- 1 large green pepper (de-seeded and chopped)
Method for Spicy Beef and Pepper Casserole:
- Cut the meat into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes, getting rid of any excess fat.
- Heat 1 oz of the butter in a large pan and, when hot, add the beef, browning it on all sides to seal in the juices. Drain off any excess fat and transfer into a large casserole. Keep warm.
- Melt the rest of the butter in the pan and fry the onions and garlic until soft. Add, over a low heat, the cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander, paprika and tomato puree, stirring well all the time.
- Slowly pour in the stock and bring the mixture to the boil and then pour it over the beef in the casserole dish.
- Add the chopped peppers to the casserole, stir, season with salt to taste and cover.
- Cook in the middle of a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4 (180°C/350°F) for 2 hours until the meat is tender.
Serves 4 to 6.
Note: Goes well with boiled rice or new potatoes.