Ingredients for Raspberry Vinegar:
- 2 lb (900 g) raspberries
- 1 pint (570 ml) white wine vinegar
Method for Raspberry Vinegar:
- Put the raspberries into a wide-mouthed jar and crush them lightly with the back of a wooden spoon. Cover with cold vinegar.
- Tightly cover and leave for 7 days, shaking occasionally.
- Strain through muslin or through a jelly bag, squeezing out as much juice as possible.
- Measure the juice and transfer to a pan.
- Add 4 ozs(112 g) to 12 ozs (337 g) of sugar per pint of juice extracted, according to taste.
- Heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved and then bring to the boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes and pour into hot, sterilized bottles or jars and seal.
Note: You can omit any sugar if you want but this vinegar still needs to be brought to the boil for 10 minutes before final bottling.
Makes about 1½ pints (870 ml) of Raspberry Vinegar.
Makes a refreshing drink (diluted) and good for sore throats! Also nice as a salad dressing. The same recipe can be used for making blackberry vinegar and blackcurrant vinegar.