Ingredients for Garlic Vinegar:
- 10 cloves of garlic, pealed and split into halves
- 1 pint (570 ml) white wine vinegar or distilled white malt vinegar
Method for Garlic Vinegar:
- Put the garlic into a wide-mouthed warm sterilized jar.
- Bring the vinegar to the boil before pouring over the garlic.
- Cover tightly and leave to stand in a sunny place for 3 to 4 weeks, shaking occasionally.
- Strain through muslin and pour into a sterilized jar.
- Seal and label.
Makes about 1 pint (570 ml) of Garlic Vinegar.
Adds interest to a salad dressing and can be used in stews, soups, sauces etc.
For More Information on Making Flavoured Oils & Vinegars
Home made flavoured oils and vinegars are very easy to make and are, generally, flavoured with herbs but stronger flavoured ingredients such as chillies and garlic can also be used. In the case of vinegars, fruit is also often used. Garlic flavoured oil...
Spiced Vinegar A lot of pickles and relishes are preserved in spiced vinegars. The spices used vary enormously according to the recipe and to individual taste. We've listed below examples of the most common combinations. You can buy ready spiced or...
Articles, information and tips on using oils and vinegars. People have used oils and vinegars for flavouring and storing foods for thousands of years. You have to wonder who first had the idea of using spoilt wine as a condiment or putting those...