Ingredients for Mustard Sauce:
- 3 green peppers
- 8 oz (225 g) green tomatoes
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 pints (1.1 litres) water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pint (570 ml) white wine vinegar
- 8 oz (225 g) soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
Method for Mustard Sauce:
- Quarter the peppers and remove the pith and pips. Chop them into small pieces.
- Skin the onions and dice into small pieces,
- Roughly chop all of the other vegetables.
- Place the vegetables in a large bowl, add the water and salt, cover and leave overnight in a cool place.
- Strain the vegetables the next day and discard the salt water.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large pan, add the vinegar, sugar and mustard seed and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 1 hour.
- Push the mixture through a sieve and return the purée to a clean pan and re-heat..
- Mix the flour and turmeric with a drop of water on a saucer until it forms a paste. Gradually stir the paste into the vegetable mixture.
- Lower the heat and simmer the contents of the pan for about ½ an hour, uncovered, or until the sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to hot, sterilized bottles or jars and seal
- Label once cool.
Makes about 1½ pints (900 ml) of Mustard Sauce.
Lovely with steak, roast beef and ham.
General Information on Making Sauces and Ketchups
How to Make Your Own Ketchups & Sauces
Sauces and ketchups (catsup) are very similar although, generally, ketchups have a slightly thinner consistency than sauces. Sauces are rubbed through a sieve to give a smooth mixture and then cooked again until they are thick enough not to separate...
Leave a Comment Here on Mustard Sauce Recipe