Ingredients for Mustard Sauce:
- 3 green peppers
- 8 oz (225 g) green tomatoes
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 pints (1.1 litres) water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pint (570 ml) white wine vinegar
- 8 oz (225 g) soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
Method for Mustard Sauce:
- Quarter the peppers and remove the pith and pips. Chop them into small pieces.
- Skin the onions and dice into small pieces,
- Roughly chop all of the other vegetables.
- Place the vegetables in a large bowl, add the water and salt, cover and leave overnight in a cool place.
- Strain the vegetables the next day and discard the salt water.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large pan, add the vinegar, sugar and mustard seed and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 1 hour.
- Push the mixture through a sieve and return the purée to a clean pan and re-heat..
- Mix the flour and turmeric with a drop of water on a saucer until it forms a paste. Gradually stir the paste into the vegetable mixture.
- Lower the heat and simmer the contents of the pan for about ½ an hour, uncovered, or until the sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to hot, sterilized bottles or jars and seal
- Label once cool.
Makes about 1½ pints (900 ml) of Mustard Sauce.
Lovely with steak, roast beef and ham.
General Information on Making Sauces and Ketchups
Sauces and ketchups (catsup) are very similar although, generally, ketchups have a slightly thinner consistency than sauces. Sauces are rubbed through a sieve to give a smooth mixture and then cooked again until they are thick enough not to separate...