Ingredients for Vegetables with Brown Rice:
- 12 ozs ((340 g) brown rice
- 1 ½ pints (850 ml) vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 green peppers, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Salt and pepper
- 4 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 oz (112 g) mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Chopped parsley for garnish
Method for Vegetables with Brown Rice:
- Rinse the rice through a colander in cold running water. Turn into a bowl, cover with cold water and allow to soak for ½ an hour. Drain and put into a pan with the vegetable stock, 2 teaspoons of salt and the bay leaves.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid absorbed.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Gently fry the garlic, onion, celery and green pepper until they are just soft. Stir in the basil. Add the rice when cooked, removing the bay leaves, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir or toss lightly with a fork until heated through.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased, shallow heat-resistant casserole dish and arrange the tomato slices on top. Sprinkle with grated cheese and place under a hot grill for 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
Serves 4. A delicious vegetarian meal on its own.