A simple chutney and easy to make but nobody will believe you when they taste it! Delicious.
Ingredients for Apple Chutney:
- 2 lb (900 g) cooking apples
- 8 oz (225 g) onion
- 1½ pints (900 ml) vinegar
- 1 lb (450 g) brown sugar
- 2 oz (56 g) mixed pickling spice
- 8 oz (225 g) raisins or sultanas
- ½ oz (14 g) salt
- 2 teaspoonfuls ground ginger
Method for Apple Chutney:
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Peel and chop the onion.
- Put the onions, apples, raisins and salt into a pan with the vinegar. Tie the pickling spice in a muslin bag and add to the pan. Stew until tender. Remove the spice and add the ginger.
- Add the sugar, stir until it has dissolved. Bring to the boil. Boil until the chutney is thick.
- Pot into hot, clean, sterilized jars immediately and seal.
- Label with contents once fully cooled.
Makes about 4 lbs (1.8 kg) of Apple Chutney.
For More Information on Making Chutneys & Preserves
Chutneys originated in India – the name derived from the Hindu word chatni . They then came back to Britain with explorers where they were a hit and are now a very popular preserve all over the world. The scope of chutneys is endless and t...