This sweet chilli jam recipe is straightforward to make and produces an unusual jam that can be used as an accompaniment to a curry like a mango chutney or sweet brinjal pickle. It goes really well with a strong cheddar cheese and perks up a mild cheese sandwich.
This sweet chilli jam recipe was kindly sent in by Jon
Ingredients for Sweet Chilli Jam:
- 8 red peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 5 medium red chillies, roughly chopped
- Finger-sized piece fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 750g caster sugar
- 250ml red wine vinegar
Method for Sweet Chilli Jam:
- Tip the peppers, chillies (with seeds), ginger and garlic into a food processor, then whizz until very finely chopped.
- Scrape into a heavy-bottomed pan with the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar.
- Then bring everything to the boil.
- Skim off any scum that comes to the surface, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for about 50 mins stirring occasionally.
- Once the jam is becoming sticky, continue cooking for 10-15 mins more, stirring frequently so that it doesn’t catch and burn. It should now look like thick, bubbling lava.
- Cool slightly, transfer to sterilised jars, then leave to cool completely.
Makes 4 8oz Jars and keeps for 3 months in a cool, dark cupboard – refrigerate once opened.