Use up some bits and bobs of cooked vegetables in this filling casserole dish.
Ingredients for Vegetable and Egg Casserole:
- 1 ½ lb (675 g) mixed cooked carrots, peas, broad beans and potatoes
- 12 chives
- 3½ oz (98 g) butter
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 ½ oz (42 g) flour
- ½ pint (285 ml) milk
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 4 oz grated cheese
Method for Vegetable and Egg Casserole:
- Dice carrot and potatoes, chop chives and sauté all the vegetables and chives in 2 oz (56 g) butter.
- Put into a buttered casserole and cover with slices of peeled tomatoes.
- Heat remaining butter in a pan, add flour and mix well. Add milk and stir until boiling.
- Separate eggs, stir yolks into the sauce and add seasoning, nutmeg and cheese.
- Beat the egg whites stiffly and fold into the sauce.
- Pour over vegetables and bake at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for 25 minutes.