No cooking at all! This uncooked relish has a really fresh summery taste.
Ingredients for Tomato Relish:
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) ripe tomatoes
- 3 large onions
- 3 large celery sticks
- 1 red pepper
- 1 oz (28 g) salt
- 1 lb (450 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- ¾ pint (450 ml) white vinegar
Method for Tomato Relish:
- De-skin the tomatoes and onions and chop finely.
- Mix together in a bowl and sprinkle the salt over the top. Leave overnight.
- Rinse the tomatoes and onions through a colander and drain well.
- Clean and finely chop the celery. De-seed and chop the pepper. Mix together in a large bowl with the sugar, mustard seeds and vinegar.
- Stir in the tomatoes and onions.
- Pot into dry, clean, sterilised jars and cover.
Makes about 5 lbs (2.3 kg) of Tomato Relish. Needs to be kept for about 6 weeks before using.
More on Making Relish Preserves
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
These articles on methods of making preserves cover both sweet preserves like fruit curds and savoury relishes and pickles. In our modern world with 24 hour shopping, cans in the cupboard and a deep freeze full of ready meals, it's hard to imagine...