Fruit Cheeses are a good way of preserving fruit which has a lot of pips or stones.
Ingredients for Damson Cheese:
- 6 lb (2.8 kg) damsons
- ½ pint (300 ml) water
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
Method for Damson Cheese:
- Wash the damsons and put them into a large saucepan with the water.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the damsons are tender.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve over a large bowl and press through using the back of a wooden spoon.
- Measure the fruit purée. and allow 1 lb (450 g) of sugar to each 1 lb (450 g) of pulp.
- Return the purée to the pan, add the sugar and ground allspice. Stir frequently until the sugar has dissolved .
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and continue cooking and stirring until very thick.
- Pour into small, clean, dry, warm sterilized jars or moulds.
- Cover and seal.
- Label with contents and date when fully cool.
Makes about 6 lbs (2.8 kg) of Damson Cheese.
Can be turned out in one piece and cut with a knife in place of cheese or, cut into small pieces, as a sweetmeat. Also useful as a condiment to cold meat or poultry.
Has a fairly short storage life, months rather than years. Once opened, should be eaten within a week or two. Best kept in the fridge.
General Information on Making Fruit Butters & Cheese