This tangy cranberry cheese has the tartness of the cranberries nicely balanced with the sweetness of the sugar.
Ingredients for Cranberry Cheese:
- 6 lb (2.8 kg) cranberries
- 1¾ pints (1 litre) water
- 6 lb (2.8 kg) sugar
- Juice and finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Method for Cranberry Cheese:
- Wash the cranberries and put them into a large saucepan with just enough water to cover them.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the cranberries are very soft. Squash them occasionally with the back of a wooden spoon to release the juice.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve over a large bowl and press through using the back of a wooden spoon.
- Return the puree to a clean pan. If it is very liquid, boil it for a few minutes and allow to reduce slightly.
- Pour in the sugar and cook gently until it has dissolved.
- Add the finely grated orange rind and juice, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer until the cheese is fairly stiff.
- Pour into small, clean, dry, warm sterilized jars or moulds.
- Cover and seal.
- Label with contents and date when fully cool.
Makes about 6 lbs (2.8 kg) of Cranberry Cheese.
Can be turned out in one piece and cut with a knife in place of cheese or, cut into small pieces, as a sweetmeat. Also useful as a condiment to cold meat or poultry.
Has a fairly short storage life, months rather than years. Once opened, should be eaten within a week or two. Best kept in the fridge.
General Information on Making Fruit Butters & Cheese
Fruit Butters & Cheeses
Fruit butters and fruit cheese are old-fashioned names for preserves made with fruit puree and sugar. Generally the fruits used for jellies are also the best ones for butter and cheeses and they can even be made from the pulp left in the jelly bag after...
Leave a Comment Here on Cranberry Cheese Recipe