This tangy cranberry cheese has the tartness of the cranberries nicely balanced with the sweetness of the sugar.
Ingredients for Cranberry Cheese:
- 6 lb (2.8 kg) cranberries
- 1¾ pints (1 litre) water
- 6 lb (2.8 kg) sugar
- Juice and finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Method for Cranberry Cheese:
- Wash the cranberries and put them into a large saucepan with just enough water to cover them.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the cranberries are very soft. Squash them occasionally with the back of a wooden spoon to release the juice.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve over a large bowl and press through using the back of a wooden spoon.
- Return the puree to a clean pan. If it is very liquid, boil it for a few minutes and allow to reduce slightly.
- Pour in the sugar and cook gently until it has dissolved.
- Add the finely grated orange rind and juice, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer until the cheese is fairly stiff.
- Pour into small, clean, dry, warm sterilized jars or moulds.
- Cover and seal.
- Label with contents and date when fully cool.
Makes about 6 lbs (2.8 kg) of Cranberry Cheese.
Can be turned out in one piece and cut with a knife in place of cheese or, cut into small pieces, as a sweetmeat. Also useful as a condiment to cold meat or poultry.
Has a fairly short storage life, months rather than years. Once opened, should be eaten within a week or two. Best kept in the fridge.
General Information on Making Fruit Butters & Cheese