Ingredients for Moroccan Chicken:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 large red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 500g carton tomato passata
- 1 tspn Ras el Hanout (Moroccan equivalent to garam masala)
- 1 tspn cumin seeds (lightly toasted and crushed)
- 10 dried apricots (halved)
- 20 dried sultanas
- 1 preserved lemon (chopped into small chunks)
Method for Moroccan Chicken:
- Finely dice onion and garlic and place all the ingredients except chicken into a lidded casserole dish and mix well.
- Add the chicken ensuring its covered by the sauce and place in the oven at 160c for about 1.5 hours dependent on chicken size. (Check that the chicken is fully cooked through with a skewer).
Serves 4 people when served with couscous or turmeric flavoured rice and flat breads.
I’ve also use boned and skinless chicken thighs or diced lamb with this recipe. It’s best to brown these of in a dry frying pan to release the fats prior to casseroling.