Ingredients for Turkish Stuffed Aubergine – Imam Bayildi:
- 2 large aubergines
- 4 tbsps good olive oil
- 1 onion sliced thinly
- 1 green pepper sliced thinly
- 1 large tomato thinly sliced
- Garlic to taste
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp allspice
- Loads of chopped flat leaf parsley
Method for Turkish Stuffed Aubergine – Imam Bayildi:
- Halve the aubergines length ways. Scoop out some of the flesh to leave something that resembles a thick skinned canoe.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add onions, peppers and garlic and fry until softened. Add chopped aubergine flesh, tomatoes, puree, paprika, allspice and cook gently for a few minutes. Season to taste.
- Add half the chopped parsley and allow to cool a little.
- Place your canoes in an ovenproof dish and fill with the mixture. Any extra mixture you can also place in the dish around the aubergines. Pour in about half a pint of boiling water around the aubergines. Cook for an hour in the oven Gas 6, 200C, 400F.
Serve warm or at room temperature with flatbread, yoghurt dip made from cucumber and mint and tomato salad.