Ingredients for Dried Apricot Jam:
- 1 lb dried apricots (try to buy the dark ones with no preservatives on)
- 3 pts of water
- 3 lb of sugar (you could use more if you like)
- Juice of a lemon
Method for Dried Apricot Jam:
- Cut the apricots up small (scissors are easiest).
- Put the apricots & water in a large bowl and cover with a tea cloth.
- Leave overnight.
- Next day simmer at least half an hour (until they are as soft as you like them in jam).
- Keep the heat very low.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice (zest too if it is an organic lemon).
- Stir every now and then until the sugar is really dissolved (this is ALWAYS important when making jam).
- Now bring up to the boil and boil for approx 15 minutes now test with a little on a saucer
- Carefully wrinkle it and if it isn’t runny put a lump of BUTTER in (it helps to disperse the ” scum” which cannot be helped).
- Have your jars washed and in the oven, completely dry and, using a funnel, spoon the jam into the jars.
- I find jam “keeps” better when poured into the jars straight away.
- It is a tricky job and don’t be distracted.
- Now place your little jam greaseproof papers on top then the lids screw up but not too tight until later.
- Always have a cloth to hold the jars as they are VERY hot now!!
- It MAY take longer than 15 mins and this is, I am afraid, only you’ll really know the more you make jams, pickles and chutneys.
It is a lovely thing to do and so worthwhile please have a go .
For More Information on Jam Making
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...