Ingredients for Creamy Onion Allotment Soup :
- 3 medium (fist size) onions (thinly Sliced)
- 1 medium (fist size) potato (thinly sliced)
- Olive, vegetable or rapeseed oil
- About 1oz butter or margarine (I have used both but use vegetable margarine when my daughter is visiting a she is vegan)
- ½ pint veg stock (approx)
- ½ pint sweetened soya milk (approx) (soya milk gives the soup a lovely creamy taste)
- 3 or 4 cloves garlic crushed or chopped
Method to make Creamy Onion Allotment Soup :
- Use a wok or deepish fry pan/saucepan.
- In frying pan/wok and on lowest heat gently sauté onions in sufficient oil until soft but not brown adding a little stock rather than more oil to keep onions moist.
- Add about ½ of the stock and potatoes and continue cooking on low heat for a few minutes.
- Transfer all to a saucepan, add garlic, butter/margarine and milk.
- Gently bring to the boil then simmer for 10/15 minutes (with lid on) or until everything is soft, checking and stirring occasionally.
- Blend in batches in blender and return to pan and add extra stock or milk if soup is too thick.
Makes about three to four bowls. Serve with crusty bread. I didn’t add pepper or salt in cooking – just add to taste when eating.
A vegetarian or easily made vegan recipe that’s a refreshing change from French onion soup