You’ll need to use jam sugar for this (or ordinary sugar with added liquid or powdered pectin) as rhubarb has next to none!
Ingredients for Rhubarb Jam:
- 4lbs (2 kg) rhubarb
- 4lbs (2 kg) jam sugar
- 3 oz (75 g) root ginger
- Juice of 2 lemons (or 4 tablespoons bottled Lemon Juice)
Method for Rhubarb Jam:
- Trim, wash and wipe the rhubarb and cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) lengths. Put into a bowl, sprinkle with the sugar, cover and leave overnight to soak.
- Next day, pour into a pan, add the lemon juice, bruise the ginger and wrap in a piece of muslin and place it in the pan, bring slowly to the boil, stirring occasionally until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Boil rapidly until the jam sets when tested and the fruit sinks to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the scum and leave to cool slightly. Pot into warm sterilized jars and seal whilst still warm.
Makes about 5 lbs (2.5 kg) of jam.
General Information on Jam Making
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...