Greengages usually have enough pectin to ensure a good set.
Ingredients for Greengage Jam:
- 4 lbs (1.8 kgs) greengages
- 1 pint (575 ml) water
- 4 lbs (1.8 kgs) sugar
Method for Greengage Jam:
- Wash and wipe the greengages. Cut in halves.
- Put into a pan with the water and simmer gently until the fruit is soft.
- Test for pectin.
- Add the sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until the jam sets when tested, removing the stones as they rise to the top.
- Remove the scum.
- Pot and seal while still hot.
Makes around 6 lbs (2.7 kgs) of jam.
General Information on Jam Making
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...