This Gooseberry Jam Recipe is really easy to make as gooseberries are full of pectin and acidic in their own right.
Ingredients for Gooseberry Jam:
- 4 lbs (1.8 kgs) gooseberries
- 2 pints (1.15 litres) water
- 6 lbs (2.7 kgs) sugar
Method for Gooseberry Jam:
- Top and tail the gooseberries. Wash well and drain.
- Put into a pan with the water and simmer gently until soft.
- Test for pectin. (not really necessary with Gooseberries)
- Add the sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 5 minutes until the jam sets when tested.
- Remove the scum.
- Pot and seal while still hot.
Makes around 8 lbs (3.6 kgs) of jam.
General Information on Jam Making
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...