You need for Damson Gin or Brandy:
- A clean bottle with a wide enough opening for the fruit to plop into – I use a Gordon’s plastic export bottle which is fine
- Damsons, washed and selected as good ones
- Enough gin/brandy to fill up the bottle, about a third should be enough
How to make Damson Gin or Brandy:
- Plop the damsons into the bottle so that it is 2/3 full
- Fill to the top of the bottle with granulated sugar
- Add your favourite spirit to the top of the bottle – might take 1/3rd of a bottle
- Give a good shake and place in a dark cupboard /wine rack
- Turn and shake the bottle until the sugar has dissolved
- Leave for as long as you can (3 months??)
Decant the spirit for a winter warmer
Use the rich alcoholic damsons as a pudding, with cream, or as a cheesecake topper, and don’t drive afterwards!
This time of year I freeze quite a few damsons and make this up when I have the time later, no need to even defrost the damsons!
Damson Gin or Damson Brandy will obviously store for as long as you can resist drinking it.