You can use spinach in place of the chard and try using different cheeses too and even could try different filling veggies also….. Great as a light lunch for two or starter for 4.
Ingredients for Chard and Asparagus Roulade:
The Roulade part:
- 3 to 4 eggs, separated
- 1 clove of garlic
- a small nob of butter
- 1 small onion chopped fine/or use some spring onion
- A good size handful of chard or use spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste and any fresh or dried herbs of choice. I used 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 80 grams of strong cheddar. You can use different cheeses if you like.
For the Filling:
- Fresh Asparagus/ or vegetables of choice
- 1 tub of garlic and herb Cream cheese
- Optional Sundried tomatoes chopped.
Fresh cut and come again lettuces and other salad ingredients of choice. Some spring onion chopped or chives for garnish.
Method for Chard and Asparagus Roulade :
Preheat oven to 180C fan oven or 190 C normal oven. Everyones oven varies.
For the Roulade:
- Take and line a swiss roll pan with baking parchment or greaseproof paper. Brush well with butter. I used some from the frying pan that I intend on using for the veggies.
- Next saute the chopped onion, chopped chard stems and garlic for about 2 minutes just until they become translucent. Then add the chopped chard leaves. Herbs and seasonings.
- In a large bowl beat the egg whites till stiff. In another bowl mix the egg yolks and cheese and the sauteed vegetables and 1 tablespoon flour. Fold in the egg whites. Spread into pan and bake for 15 minutes or until firm and golden. Roll up and let sit for a minute.
- Then while still warm loosen the paper from the Roulade. Spread with filling and roll up and chill in the fridge.
- Serve slices on the salad leaves. You can garnish with chopped spring onions or chives and some lemon slices. I do two slices per person for a starter and ½ roll per person as a light lunch.
For the filling:
- Saute the asparagus spears in a bit of butter and add the juice of 1/2 the lemon. Cooking until the spears are just tender and the juice has evaporated.
- To the cream cheese add the remaining juice from the other 1/2 lemon and some of the lemon zest. Mix well and then spread on the roulade base.
- You can sprinkle some chopped sun dried tomatoes (the ones packed in oil) over this then the asparagus spears. Then roll up with the spears in the middle. I wrapped in the greaseproof paper and place in the fridge to chill.
This recipe is a very versatile one in that you can use different vegetables according to what you have on hand or from the garden. Enjoy with a nice glass of white wine.