Potato and Spinach Ring Recipe Submitted by Julie
Ingredients for Potato and Spinach Ring:
- I.5lb (750g) potatoes
- 0.5oz (15g) margarine or butter
- a little milk
- 1lb (500g) spinach, washed
- 0.5 pt (300ml) béchamel sauce
- a little single cream (optional)
- grated nutmeg, mace and black pepper
Makes 0.75pt (450ml)
- 1.5oz (40g) plain flour
- 1.5oz (40g) butter or margarine
- 0.75pt (450ml)
- bay leaf (optional)
- salt and black pepper
Method for Potato and Spinach Ring:
- Put all the ingredients into a saucepan and whisk continuously with a wire whisk over a medium heat until the sauce comes to the boil and becomes smooth. Simmer for 5 minutes to allow the flour to cook thoroughly, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Remove the bay leaf and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook the potatoes, drain and mash with enough butter and milk to make a creamy but firm consistency.
- Spoon around the edge of a baking dish, leaving a hole in the centre for the spinach.
- Press down with the back of a fork.
- Cook the spinach in its own water for 4-5 minutes, then drain thoroughly and chop. Fold into the béchamel sauce with the cream (if using). Season to taste with nutmeg and mace and lots of black pepper.
- Pour into the centre of the potato ring.
- Bake at 190C/375F/gas mark 5 for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown on top.
Cheese can be added to the potatoes and/or béchamel sauce and sprinkled over the potatoes before baking. Can be served with poached eggs.