Aztec Pie Recipe Submitted by peanut
This is a recipe that is my own creation following a year spent living in Mexico when I was younger. It is made principally with beef and is a good use for any lottie grown peppers, toms or chillies.
Ingredients for Aztec Pie:
- 500g lean steak mince (or vegetarian substitute)
- 8 flour (or corn) tortillas (suitable for those with gluten intolerance)
- 1 red/green/yellow pepper (depending on colour preference)
- Red onion
- Chopped tomatoes
- White wine vinegar (vinegar and tomatoes could be substituted with a jar of salsa sauce)
- 250g grated cheddar or mozzarella
- Chillies (variety depending on stomach lining)
Method for Aztec Pie:
- Chop the garlic, pepper and onion and fry with the mince.
- Add the chopped chillies, fresh or dried or chilli sauce. Add the tomatoes, white wine vinegar, cumin, chopped coriander. Bring to boil in the pan and then simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Taste your mixture at regular intervals to ensure you have achieved the desired spicy heat.
- Meanwhile, grease a large pyrex dish and lay one of the tortillas in the bottom. Then, after 20 mins spoon in the mixture and add tortillas to layer as you would a lasagne. Continue layering until all mixture is used.
- Place another tortilla on top and cover with grated cheese. Cover and place in the oven on 200 degrees for about 20 minutes to allow the cheese to melt and the tortilla to crisp.
Serve with golden rice and your favourite tipple.