Shrub is a name which is borrowed from the Arabs – fruit sherbet drink.
Makes 4 glasses and takes 5 minutes, plus 1 hour to chill.
Ingredients for Spiced Cranberry Shrub:
- 285ml cranberry juice
- 225ml dry cider
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 2 strips lemon rind
- 12 ice cubes
- 570ml mineral water chilled
- 4 orange slices
- 1 small red skinned apple
Method of Spiced Cranberry Shrub:
- Pour the cranberry juice into a stainless steel or enamel saucepan with the cider, vinegar, cloves and lemon rind. Bring to the boil, then take off the heat.
- Cover and leave for about 1 hour until cooled.
- Strain the shrub into a jug, add the ice, mineral water and orange slices. At the last moment slice and add the apple. Serve in chilled glasses.
- For a slightly sweeter drink, use half and half cranberry and raspberry juice.