Ingredients for Tangerine Jelly Marmalade:
- 2 lbs (900 g) tangerines
- 2 lemons
- 1 grapefruit
- 7 pints (4.2 litres) water
- 1 lb (450 g) sugar per pint (570 ml) of juice extracted
Method for Tangerine Jelly Marmalade:
- Wash and dry the fruit. Cut in half and squeeze out the juice. Remove the pips, inside skin and pith.
- Cut the peel finely.
- Tie the grapefruit peel and lemon peel in a piece of muslin along with the all the pips, inside skin and pith.
- Put the tangerine peel in a large bowl with the muslin bag of peel/pips etc. and the juice. Add 7 pints (4.2 litres) of water and leave to soak overnight.
- Turn into a preserving pan, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 1½-2 hours, removing the muslin bag after it has cooked for 1¼ hours.
- Test the contents of the preserving pan for pectin.
- Turn the contents of the preserving pan into a jelly bag and leave to strain overnight.
- Measure the juice and put into a pan to heat. Add l lb (450 g) of sugar for each pint (570 ml) of juice, stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the shredded tangerine peel and bring to the boil and boil rapidly until the marmalade reaches setting point.
- Remove the scum, leave to a cool a little.
- Pot and seal whilst still hot.
Makes about 5 lbs (2.3 kg) of tangerine jelly marmalade.
A lovely smooth breakfast marmalade, wonderful on hot buttered toast. Without those bits of peel some love and some find annoying.
For More Information on Marmalades
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...