Winter Chicken Casserole Recipe Submitted by Mrs Bouquet
Ingredients for Winter Chicken Casserole:
- 1 kg chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 250 ml red wine
- 800 gms tin of good quality chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika powder
- 1 410 gm tin cannellini beans (drained) If I have not got these I use a tin of Haricot instead.
- 1 x 450gm jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced. If I have got lots of raw peppers in the ‘fridge I sometimes slice and use them (not green) but it will slightly change the flavour.
- 2 good sprigs of rosemary, roughly chopped.
Method for Winter Chicken Casserole:
- Preheat oven to 180°C, Fan Oven 160°C, gas mark 4.
- Sear the chicken in the casserole dish for 5 minutes until brown all over, and set chicken aside.
- Add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring until softened.
- Pour over red wine (to deglaze the pan) and simmer for 2-3 minutes to thicken.
- Add tomatoes and paprika, with beans peppers and rosemary.
- Replace chicken pieces, bring to boil and cover.
- Put casserole dish in oven and cook for approx. 30 to 40 minutes, until chicken is tender and juices are clear.
- Serve with spuds or rice or crusty bread.
I also make a winter salad of finely chopped red cabbage and savoy cabbage, with raw grated carrot over the top.
This should serve 4 people, takes 15 minutes to prepare.