Winter Chicken Casserole Recipe Submitted by Mrs Bouquet
Ingredients for Winter Chicken Casserole:
- 1 kg chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 250 ml red wine
- 800 gms tin of good quality chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika powder
- 1 410 gm tin cannellini beans (drained) If I have not got these I use a tin of Haricot instead.
- 1 x 450gm jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced. If I have got lots of raw peppers in the ‘fridge I sometimes slice and use them (not green) but it will slightly change the flavour.
- 2 good sprigs of rosemary, roughly chopped.
Method for Winter Chicken Casserole:
- Preheat oven to 180°C, Fan Oven 160°C, gas mark 4.
- Sear the chicken in the casserole dish for 5 minutes until brown all over, and set chicken aside.
- Add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring until softened.
- Pour over red wine (to deglaze the pan) and simmer for 2-3 minutes to thicken.
- Add tomatoes and paprika, with beans peppers and rosemary.
- Replace chicken pieces, bring to boil and cover.
- Put casserole dish in oven and cook for approx. 30 to 40 minutes, until chicken is tender and juices are clear.
- Serve with spuds or rice or crusty bread.
I also make a winter salad of finely chopped red cabbage and savoy cabbage, with raw grated carrot over the top.
This should serve 4 people, takes 15 minutes to prepare.
can you use turkey instead of chicken and can you use red tomatoes in the green tomatoes chutney thank you very much
Yes you can use turkey instead of chicken. As for the green tomato chutney, if you want to use red tomatoes it would be better to use the recipe for red tomato chutney, you can always adjust the spices to your taste..