A hot and tasty way for preserving Aubergines over the winter months. Delicious with cheese.
Ingredients for Hot Aubergine Chutney:
- 2 lb (1 kg) aubergines
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 6 oz (175 g) soft dark brown sugar
- 12 fl oz (350 ml) white wine vinegar
- 3 oz (75 g) seedless raisins or sultanas
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 lb (500 g) onions
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 red chillies
Method for Hot Aubergine Chutney:
- Slice the aubergines, put into a colander and sprinkle with the salt. Leave for at least three hours, then rinse and dry.
- Meanwhile, put the sugar, vinegar, raisins and tomato puree into a bowl, mix and leave to stand.
- Finely chop the onions and red chillies and place with all of the other ingredients into a pan.
- Heat gently, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, then simmer until thickened.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal
Makes about 3 lb (1.5 kg) of chutney.
Warning – this is HOT!!!!