Ingredients for Mushroom Chutney:
- 8 oz (225 g) onion
- 1 largish red pepper
- 1 lb (450 g) cooking apples
- 1 lb (450 g) mushrooms
- 8 oz (225 g) red tomatoes
- 2 oz (56 g) root ginger
- 8 oz (225 g) raisins or sultanas
- 1 pint (570 ml) vinegar
- 1 lb (450 g) brown sugar
Method for Mushroom Chutney:
- De-seed the pepper and chop finely. Peel and chop the onion. Put into a pan with about ½ pint (285 ml) water. Simmer to soften.
- Peel, core and chop the apples. Wash and coarsely chop the mushrooms. Skin and chop the tomatoes.
- Add the apples, mushrooms and tomatoes to the peppers and onion and continue cooking.
- Grate the root ginger and add to the pan. Stew until tender.
- Add the sugar, raisins or sultanas and vinegar and stir until the sugar has has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer and stir occasionally, to prevent sticking.
- Continue to simmer until all the liquid is absorbed and the chutney is thick.
- Pot into hot, clean, sterilized jars immediately and seal.
- Label with contents once fully cooled.
Makes about 4 lbs (1.8 kg) of Mushroom Chutney.
Like most chutneys, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars this will keep for at least a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
General Chutney Making Information