Ingredients for Spiced Red Cabbage and Apple:
- 1 medium-sized red cabbage (about 2 lb/900 g)
- 1 lb (450 g) cooking apples
- 2 medium sized onions
- Salt and pepper
- 4 oz (112 g) demerara sugar
- ½ pint (300 ml) vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar
Method for Spiced Red Cabbage and Apple :
- Shred the cabbage coarsely. Peel, core and chop the apples into thin slices. Peel and chop the onions finely.
- Place a layer of red cabbage into the bottom of any oven-proof casserole. Put a thin layer of apple on top, followed by a layer of onion. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with sugar.
- Repeat the layers until the ingredients are finished and then pour over the stock and vinegar.
- Cover and cook in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 3 (325°F/170C) for 80 to 90 minutes.
- Serve hot.
This Spiced Red Cabbage & Apple Recipe Serves 4 to 6. Goes particularly well with good quality pork sausages or bacon chops and a baked potato for a filling meal