Although named a “bread”, spoon bread is closer in consistency and taste to a savoury pudding.
Ingredients for Sweet Corn Spoon Bread:
- 3 large sweet corn cobs
- 9oz (250 g) crème fraiche
- 1 egg
- 1 oz (28 g) grated parmesan cheese + 2 tablespoons for the topping
- 1 oz (28 g) self-raising flour
- Cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper
- 1 ½ oz (42 g) butter
Method for Sweet Corn Spoon Bread:
- Combine the crème fraiche, egg, parmesan cheese and self raising flour in a large bowl.
- Slice the kernels off the sweet corn cobs and add to the bowl.
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper, salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Spoon into a greased shallow 7″ (18 cm) square oven-proof dish. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese.
- Dot with the butter.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven of Gas Mark 6/200°C/400°F for 25 minutes or until set and golden brown.
Serve immediately whilst still hot, straight from the dish.