Dill Pickle as it is called across the pond.
Ingredients for Pickled Gherkins with Dill:
- 1 lb (450 g) gherkins (2 to 3 inches long)
- 2 heads fresh dill
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 ½ oz (40 g) salt
- ½ pint (285 ml) white wine vinegar
- ¾ pint (430 ml) water
- 4 black peppercorns
Method for Pickled Gherkins with Dill:
- Scrub the gherkins and trim the ends.
- Cover with iced water and leave to soak for 24 hours.
- Drain and prick all over with a skewer.
- Put one head of dill and the garlic into a large hot sterilised jar. Pack in the gherkins and put the other head of dill on top.
- Place the salt, vinegar, water and peppercorns in a pan and bring to the boil. Pour over the gherkins and seal.
Makes about 3 lbs (1.4 kg) of Pickled Gherkins and Dill.
Serve with ham and other boiled meats.
For More Information on Pickles and Relishes:
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...