- 350g beetroot
- 350 eating apples
- 300ml malt vinegar (I actually used red wine vinegar for the colour)
- 200g granulated sugar
- 225g red onions
- 1 garlic clove
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp salt
- Peel the beetroot, and shred using the coarse grating blade in a food processor.
- Peel and core the apples, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Put the vinegar and sugar into a pan and heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the beetroot, apples, diced onion, diced/crushed garlic, orange zest and juice, allspice and salt; reduce the heat and simmer for 45 – 60 minutes.
- Increase the heat slightly and boil for 10 minutes or until the chutney is thick and no excess liquid remains. Keep stirring to prevent it catching.
- Spoon into warm, sterilised jars, cover and seal.
- Store in a cool, dark place for at least 2 weeks.
- Use within 6 months and refrigerate once opened.