A sweet and spicy preserve that is great with cold meats and cheese.
Ingredients for Beetroot and Orange Preserve:
- 350g beetroot
- 350 eating apples
- 300ml malt vinegar (I actually used red wine vinegar for the colour)
- 200g granulated sugar
- 225g red onions
- 1 garlic clove
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp salt
Method for Beetroot and Orange Preserve:
- Peel the beetroot, and shred using the coarse grating blade in a food processor.
- Peel and core the apples, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Put the vinegar and sugar into a pan and heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the beetroot, apples, diced onion, diced/crushed garlic, orange zest and juice, allspice and salt; reduce the heat and simmer for 45 – 60 minutes.
- Increase the heat slightly and boil for 10 minutes or until the chutney is thick and no excess liquid remains. Keep stirring to prevent it catching.
- Spoon into warm, sterilised jars, cover and seal.
- Store in a cool, dark place for at least 2 weeks.
- Use within 6 months and refrigerate once opened.
More Information on Preserves
These articles on methods of making preserves cover both sweet preserves like fruit curds and savoury relishes and pickles. In our modern world with 24 hour shopping, cans in the cupboard and a deep freeze full of ready meals, it's hard to imagine...