Ingredients for Marrow Chutney:
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) marrow
- ½ lb (225 g) shallots
- ½ lb (225 g) cooking apples
- ½ lb (225 g) sultanas
- ½ oz (14 g) bruised root ginger
- 2 teaspoonfuls pickling spice
- 4 oz (112 g) brown sugar
- 1 pint (570 ml) vinegar
Method for Marrow Chutney:
- Peel and cut the marrow into cubes, removing all the seeds. Put in layers in a bowl with a generous sprinkling of salt. Leave overnight.
- Drain, rinse thoroughly and put into a pan.
- Peel and chop the apples and shallots and add to the marrow with the sultanas, sugar, vinegar and spices (tied in a piece of muslin).
- Bring to the boil very slowly and then simmer gently until cooked and thick.
- Pour into hot, clean, sterilized jars and seal at once.
- Label with contents when fully cooled.
Makes about 4 lbs (1.8 kg) of Marrow Chutney. You can also use this recipe for those overgrown courgettes!
For More Information on Making Chutneys & Preserves
Chutneys originated in India – the name derived from the Hindu word chatni . They then came back to Britain with explorers where they were a hit and are now a very popular preserve all over the world. The scope of chutneys is endless and t...